Reading is a beneficial way to exercise and keep fit your brain. Pick a good book, one that appeals to you, actively read it, live it and improve your brain.
Reading is amazing. As you read this text, your brain gets to perform my thinking. Chaining makes complex functions that run in multiple areas of your brain, your left hemisphere predominantly in if you’re right handed:
- You concentrate.
- Your eyes set their goal in these letters and characters. Your pupil accommodates and adjusts to light, as well as the distance to your retina text to properly receive the information.
- The signal is transmitted by your optic nerves to the visual cortex located in the occipital lobes of your brain. You see a picture, but require the processing of the characters. This function is specified in a specific region of the left occipital cortex. You see letters.
- The information is transferred to the temporal-parietal-occipital crossroads left. In an area called the angular gyrus, the character set using decoded language skills. You perceive your spelling words in context.
- Your left temporal lobe, which acts as a “dictionary”, informs about the semantics and meaning of the data produced.
- You got the message you wanted to convey: reading is amazing.
As you can see when reading starts much of your brain. It does so with an extraordinary speed, by the activation and recruitment of large numbers of neurons. It represents a beneficial way to exercise and keep fit your brain.
Read remarkable brain produces biological changes. We were able to objectify inducing communication between neurons and promote the development of both gray matter and white matter of the brain, increasing the connectivity between the two brain hemispheres. This happens throughout life, albeit in a very striking in childhood and adolescence so, while this function and generates the upper neural plasticity.
Read stimulates our attention. We focused on a task that requires, as we said, the operation of much of our brain and moving away from ideas and thoughts that may be negative.
Read increases the imagination. Several functional brain studies show that reading stories that described the character moving, realize them simulating the cerebral cortex, activating specific areas dedicated to preparing our own body movement. Somehow, we share the experience, and this happens with many other functions of the brain. When reading a word associated with an odor (e.g. jasmine), we managed to operate the brain areas of the olfactory cortex that identify the smell.
You may also like to read another article on SreWang: How to overcome depression with 5 practical tips
Read processing emotions produced by activating the prefrontal cortex and the amygdale region. Power social skills and empathy, balancing sensitivity to others’ experience and understanding to the other, putting in place and context.
Read our ability to develop speech and oratory, semantics, spelling and grammar.
Active memory read our short and long term and in almost all varieties. Most prominently, power semantic memory and episodic. The first is that stores the meaning of words. Second, the data collected on the events referred to.
Read increases cognitive reserve, i.e. cerebral resistance suffer certain degenerative diseases and to slow the own mental decline and age over time. This ability develops over a lifetime and is cumulative. Compensates by increasing the number of neural connections, as well as creating alternative circuits. Thus provides us with resources and strategies that cushion the cognitive deficits generated by different diseases that attack the brain. An own same degree of disease lesions of Alzheimer a good brain with cognitive reserve presents better mental functionality.
Language, verbal communication is a skill that began to develop in us about 6,000,000 years ago. Our evolution has required much of this time to develop such a complex role as literacy. It emerged about 4,000 years ago, separating prehistoric history. Choose a good book, one that appeals to you, actively read it, live it and improve your brain.