The hummus is one of the best-known recipes from the Middle East that has reached our kitchens: a good way to integrate the vegetables in our diet.
This year 2016 being the International Year of Pulses: a golden opportunity for all to know a little more these foods that give us a good amount of nutrients and should be part of our diet.
The group of pulses consists of all grain or dried seeds, with a color and variably, which originate in a pod, like peas, beans or chickpeas. Among its many benefits, legumes give us a lot of vegetable protein quality (which makes the base of the protein intake in vegetarian diets) and good supply of micronutrients such as B vitamins, potassium, calcium or phosphorus.
Perhaps when we think of the first dishes vegetables that spring to mind are spoon dishes traditionally made at home, such as stews, classic bean stew or lentils. But there are many more ways to consume: as veggie burgers, mashed, in salads, as soup … One of the options most fashionable right now and very used by vegetarians and vegans is the hummus : a creamy puree cooked chickpeas with tahini, lemon juice and olive oil popular in Middle Eastern cuisine. It is a simple and easy to prepare recipe also can be modified to suit the consumer.
The original recipe of hummus
Here we present some of the variations on the original recipe of hummus: a different way to consume vegetables.
Ingredients and preparation
To prepare the hummus by original recipe we will need 400 grams of cooked chickpeas, two tablespoons of tahini or sesame paste, juice of half a lemon, a drizzle of olive oil, a pinch of salt, ½-teaspoon ground cumin a some sweet paprika, garlic clove and half a glass of water.
The development cannot be easier and only need a blender: put it in the blender cup chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, cumin and salt and beat until we all integrated. Gradually we add the water we need to find a creamy texture. We spent the cream to a bowl, garnish with a few whole chickpeas, we take a little olive oil over and a pinch of paprika, and we have prepared our dish hummus.
Generally usually it occurs with crudités or sticks vegetables (celery, carrots, broccoli sprigs even) that can be dipped in hummus and eat as a snack. We can also serve with tortilla chips or chips, or use it in our breakfast spread toasted wholemeal bread. Conserving the humus in the refrigerator in a closed tupperware we can hold a few days.
You may also like to read another article on Srewang: Three fabulous recipes for vegetarian pies
5 variants hummus recipe
Now it is when our imagination comes into play, and that can be as many variants hummus recipe as we can imagine. Here we suggest a few:
- Beet Hummus: To get this hummus a curious pink just have to add to the original recipe a cooked beets approximately 175 grams. We need to incorporate beet in the first step, along with the beans and other ingredients, and before pouring the water.
- Avocado Hummus: Food trends this year is the avocado, and can be found in many of the recipes we found through social networks. To give a green touch to our hummus, we added to the original recipe a whole avocado (skinless and boneless, of course) and change the tahini for a tablespoon of chili powder dry. We may need a slightly longer oil trickle. Do not forget to serve with the traditional tortilla chips.
- Pea hummus: In this recipe change a pulse on the other, and instead will use tender chickpeas or frozen peas (if we are out of season) getting a puree of a striking green color. The preparation is the same, but changing the chickpeas for peas, which must first be cooked for about 5 minutes in salted water.
- Lentil Hummus: We made another change, this time the beans leave the scene to make way for the cooked lentils. The recipe is made the same, but in this case, we use about 250 grams of lentils pot, or lentil naturally past the pot.
- Red pepper hummus: To keep the vegetables in the recipe, all we do is incorporate chickpeas roasted red pepper a good size we can grill at home or buy pot. Pepper integrate with chickpeas in a blender and continue with the regular recipe. Surely, the taste of this last variation of hummus surprises you.
As you can see, it is always keep at least one vegetable on the plate and adding ingredients. We can prepare the hummus with almost any food that comes to mind, so imagination and the stove.